Omni Property Queensland (07) 4225 5021

Please update your Flash Player to view content.

FAQ's Tenants

When do you inspect my residence?

We will inspect a property every 3 or 4 months depending what lease you are on. So if you’re on a 6 month lease, you’ll likely have one inspection before the end of your lease or if you have a 12 month lease, expect three inspections. An Entry Notice is issued when an inspection is due.

We will give you plenty of notice to prepare and give you a 2-hour time frame of when we’ll enter. You can choose to be there, but it’s not necessary.

On the Entry Notice we will let you know a day and approximate entry time via an RTA Form 9 Entry Notice. Due to time restraints and schedules allocated for property inspections, it is difficult to rearrange times, however, in extreme circumstances, please contact our office to request a change of entry.

How can I prepare for a routine inspection?

The purpose of an inspection is to identify if repairs and maintenance are needed. A report is prepared and forwarded to the property owner for instructions. We do take photos and should this be a concern to you, please let us know in advance.  This information is forwarded to the owner.

At each planned inspection - complete the form we send to you together with the Entry Notice RTA Form 9 which can be left on the kitchen bench for our attention.  Should you notice a problem between Inspections please contact our office and speak with your property Manager

What are my responsibilities as a tenant regarding smoke alarms?

To comply with Queensland Fire and Rescue Services Legislation the following are responsibilities of the tenant during the tenancy:

  • You will notify your property manager when a smoke alarm has failed or is about to fail, other than because the battery is flat or almost flat.
  • You will not remove, dispose of, or otherwise tamper with to cease its effectiveness, the smoke alarms installed at the premises unless it is to clean or change the battery.
  • You will ensure that all exits from the property are maintained as clearways so they can be safely and effectively used for escape in the event of a fire.
  • You must agree to arrange for the cleaning and testing of each smoke alarm in the dwelling at least once every 12 months where the fixed term tenancy is 12 months or longer or a periodic tenancy.
  • You must agree to arrange for the replacement of each battery that is spent or nearly spent during the tenancy in accordance with the Information Statement (RTA Form 17a).

We can supply a list of preferred contractors who can carry out the work for you at your expense.  If arranging your own contractor, ensure they are qualified and hold current Public Liability Insurance cover.  Ensure you get an invoice and certificate of compliance.

Can I renew my lease?

Provided that the owner of the property you’re leasing intends to continue leasing their property, and that your rent has been paid on time, the property has been kept clean and undamaged and the grounds well maintained, you can expect to receive an invitation of renewal. Other factors beyond your control may also determine whether or not your lease will be renewed eg. sale of the property etc.

If you receive a Lease Renewal Notice, it’s important that you let us know whether you accept the renewal or you wish to vacate. We need this advice in writing from you as soon as possible.

Are you allowed to adjust my rent?

Rental adjustments may take place at the end of a fixed-term lease if both property owner and tenant are happy to renew the current lease. The rental price may be revised to better suit market conditions and must be accepted by both owner and tenant in order for the lease to be renewed.

Leases twelve-months and longer may also include a clause to review the lease at a given point in time. If this is the case, it will be clearly indicated on your lease.

What happens if I’m late with my rent payments?

At Omni Property, we understand that sometimes unforeseen circumstances result in delayed rental payments. Although this  situation may never apply to you, it is important we advise you of the processes involved.

Although we will endeavour to accommodate any extraordinary situations resulting in late rental payments, there is a strict arrears management procedure that will be maintained, regardless of the reason. This is to ensure effective management of arrears and protect the Lessor’s investment.

If you happen to fall into arrears or know that you will be unable to make a rental payment, please contact the office and discuss the situation with your property manager immediately.  It is important to note that in the event that you exceed 7 days in arrears, a Notice to Remedy Breach will be issued regardless of the reason for the non-payment.

These actions form our arrears management procedure and occur at the time specified:

  • 1-7 days in arrears - Reminder phone call, SMS message, letter

  • 8 days in arrears - Notice to Remedy Breach issued with 7 days to remedy breach.

  • 18 days in arrears - Notice to Leave issued with 7 days notice to vacate.

Failure to rectify a Notice to Remedy Breach within the required timeframe will result in a Notice to Leave being issued, requiring that you vacate the property within the required timeframe and pay all outstanding monies owed up to that date.  In the event that payment is not received by the time of vacating the premises and there are monies owed in excess of the bond, the tenants named on the tenancy agreement may be listed with a tenancy database (TICA – Tenancy Information Centre of Australia and/or NTD – National Tenancy Database).  Tenants will have the opportunity to pay all monies owed as well as being consulted before their details are listed.

What are my general responsibilities as a tenant?

It’s important to show due respect to your neighbours at all times. Loud music, parties, disruptive behaviour etc can disturb a neighbour’s right to peace and quiet. This is especially true of units and apartments, where noise can be an issue. Disrespectful behaviour reflects poorly on you as a tenant, on Omni Property as the property managers and on the property owners, and as such, it will not be tolerated.

Can I smoke in my property?

By law, all residential rental properties have a strict ‘no smoking inside’ policy. However if tenants choose to smoke inside the property they face eviction which includes being listed on a national tenancy database and will also be responsible for costly specialised cleaning and deodorising of the inside of the property to reduce and eliminate smoke odours.

Can I have a pet?

You may only keep pets at your property if you have explicitly been granted permission on your lease. If you are found to have a pet at your property without explicit permission, you will be in violation of your tenancy agreement and may face eviction. Hence, if you are considering getting a pet, do not do it without first finding out if it can be added to your lease.

If you do have an approved pet at your property, you must abide by the following responsibilities:

  • Keep the yard clean and ensure no holes are dug or damage occurs to the garden
  • In the event of any fleas or flea eggs being present, you will need to arrange for flea fumigation of the property at your own expense. 
  • At vacate time, you will be required to do a pest treatment even if there are no fleas present
  • Cover the cost of any damage to the premises caused by the animal. 
  • You must abide by all local, city or state laws, licensing and health requirements regarding pets, including vaccinations.

Failure to comply with these terms shall give the owner the right to revoke permission to keep the pet, and is also grounds for further action and costs.

Can someone transfer onto my lease?

Yes you can but both you and they must be approved. All additional tenants have to complete our application process and sign onto the lease. We reserve the right to refuse your request if the property is unsuitable for an additional person, or the person you are proposing does not meet our eligibility criteria.

Someone on my lease wants to leave, what happens with their Bond?

IF PERMISSION IS GRANTED for tenants to change or transfer their share of tenancy during a tenancy agreement, then the outgoing tenant must liaise and arrange with the incoming tenant to be paid their share of the bond lodged. You must then liaise with us for any transfer of names required on the original bond lodged with the bond authority.

Can I sub-let on my lease?

Subletting is not permitted without written approval from us. This also includes assigning the tenancy over to a third party, or allowing other occupants to move in without our express permission. All new tenants will have to complete our application process and sign onto the lease. We may refuse your request if the property is unsuitable for an additional person, or the person you are proposing does not meet our eligibility criteria.

What do I need to do before vacating the property?

The vacating process begins when a tenant issues a Notice of Intention to Leave, or when a lessor issues a Notice to Leave. If a tenant intends to leave when their contract expires, they are required to provide at least two-weeks’ notice. In the same situation, a landlord is required to provide two-months’ notice if they have no intention of renewing the lease.

Once adequate notice has been given, a tenant will be issued with a vacate date. This is the latest date that a vacating tenant is able to return the keys to Omni Property.  Tenants are also required to have all their property out from the property and have left the property in good order. You are required to pay rent until this date even if you have vacated the property.

Tenants must complete an exit condition report when leaving a property. We highly recommend that you make this your check list for the vacating process. This details all your obligations with respect to cleaning, smoke detectors, appliances and so forth. If the property is not left in a suitable condition we will hire professional cleaners at your expense and deducted the cost from your bond.

Should you require further information on the vacate process, the RTA have a collection of informative tenant fact sheets which can be found at  Alternatively, your property manager will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

If the agent and tenant agree on the bond to be refunded, they will together submit a bond refund request form to the RTA. Once this is complete, you will be refunded the agreed amount as directed by the form which is typically processed inside of 14 days. If the tenant and agent disagree on the return of the bond, you may file a dispute to the RTA with 14 days of the initial claim.

What happens if I don't pay my outstanding rent or damages when I vacate?

If you vacate a property with money still owing for rent or outstanding cleaning/gardening etc and damage to the property, you will be lodged on a national tenancy database. Even if this is later rectified, your details may not be withdrawn from the database. Your details may still be lodged for 5 years after your debt has been cleared, indicating there was originally a problem. Therefore due to the serious nature of being listed on these databases, we encourage all tenants to ensure all aspects of their tenancy be finalised in full with us before vacating.

Should an eviction occur, your details WILL be lodged on the national internet tenancy database and in some cases legal action may be taken

The national internet tenancy database is a collection of tenancy information lodged by property managers and real estate agents, mostly regarding tenant default action like property damage or outstanding rental debts. All agents use this database to lodge tenant details. It is the same database agents refer to when they are processing application forms.